Bees and Wasp Pest Control
Bees and wasps resemble each other a lot, but in reality, there are many differences between them. If you look closely, you’ll realize that bees are hairy while wasps tend to have smooth and shiny skin. The most common aspect among both these insects is that they sting you. While bees sting only when provoked, wasps are a little more aggressive and tend to sting even when they are not provoked.
These stings can be harmful to humans. In fact, a study estimates that these stings send more than 50 million people to the Emergency Room each year and this is what makes these bees and wasps so dangerous.
Common types of bees and wasps in Las Vegas
There are thousands of species of bees and wasps around the world, so it is important to know the species that live in your neck of the woods, so you can protect yourself from it. Some of the common types of bees and wasps that live in Las Vegas are as follows.
Africanized Honey Bee
This is the most common type of bee found in Las Vegas and they typically nest in areas such as your garage, old tires, sheds, and any other cool place. They are brownish in color and come with black stripes.
These bees are one of the most aggressive species in this area and they will defend their territory come what may. This means if you get anywhere close to the bees’ nest even accidentally, you can expect to get a sting from it.
Bumble bees are fat and have a lot of hair on their skin. They are also brownish and have black stripes, but the fatness is what makes them easy to identify. These bees are one of the most friendly types of bees and the female bee will sting you only occasionally. So for the most part, you don’t have to worry about them.
They are large and are mostly red in color with brown and yellow stripes. These hornets have their nests out of your sight, typically high up in the trees to protect from predators and even humans. Since you can hardly get near its nest, the possibility of getting a sting is fairly low. But still, Hornets will sting you if they feel threatened or if you try to remove them from a food source. You’ll typically see them near your compost bins and in such a call reach out to wasp control Las Vegas company at the earliest.
Yellow jacket, as the name suggests, tends to be in yellow color with black splashes though red and brown are common variations of this species. They are smaller in size when compared to the other bees and wasps in Las Vegas, but this is definitely something you never want to encounter because they are aggressive and sting hard. It can be particularly painful for people who are allergic to bees in general.
Worse, they will build their nests inside walls and this makes them an unpleasant visitor to your home. If you ever encounter this creature, you should call a professional bee control service Las Vegas right away.
How to Avoid Bees and Wasps?
Now that you know the common types of bees and wasps in Las Vegas, let’s see how you can avoid them.
- Wear light-colored clothes as floral patterns tend to attract bees to you.
- Keep your body and clothes clean because bees tend to feel aggravated when they smell sweat, though the exact connection is still being researched.
- Avoid floral perfumes and shampoos as that can attract bees and wasps to you.
- Cover all foods and drinks and be careful when disposing off fruit peels and rinds.
- Empty soda cans are perfect places for bees to build nests, so avoid throwing them outside your house.
- Some kinds of wasps build their nests on the ground. It is best you wear footwear always to avoid those stings.
- Stay away from hives and nests as much as possible
- Don’t react too much when you see a bee. Stay calm and the chances are it will go away. If you react too much, it might feel threatened and may try to sting you.
Getting Rid of Bees and Wasps At Home
While there is nothing much you can do about bees and wasps in the environment around you, some simple steps are enough to keep them away from your home.
- Bees and wasps hate smoke, so you can smoke them and their nests out of your home.
- Grow plants that act as repellents for bees and wasps. Spearmint, citronella, and eucalyptus are some plants that can keep these insects away.
- Use a blend of essential oils like spearmint that can prevent bees and wasps from coming inside your home.
- Mix sugar and water in equal parts in a container and keep it just below the nest. The insects will be lured by the sugar and will fall into the water.
While these solutions are effective, they are not effective because all that you’ll do is remove the wasps from your home and move it to your neighbors’ house. Also, there is always a possibility for them to return after a few days.
A more effective and lasting solution is to use bee and wasp removal service Las Vegas as they have the right means to get rid of them permanently.
Bees and Wasps Removing Professionals
One of the best wasp and bee removal service Las Vegas is Killer Instinct Pest Control (KIPC). This bee exterminator Las Vegas has many years of experience and is familiar with the type of bees and wasps that abound in this area. Accordingly, they know where to look for them and how to remove them from your home permanently.
All this means with this wasp control service Las Vegas, your home is sure to be free of these pesky insects and no more rushing to the hospital with a sting. You and your family can live in peace.